Website make-over

Posted on: July 22nd, 2012 by Claire - 11 Comments

I’m having a make over.

The plan is to have an author website where news, book info etc can be found, as well as a link to my blog for those that are interested in my ramblings. The address will stay the same.

Here is the homepage work in progress. It’s based on a new wordpress theme that my clever husband has made. If you’re on your phone the blocks should appear in a column, on a tablet perhaps in a double column and on a computer in 3×3 format. But otherwise none of the links etc work yet and the text is placeholders. What do you think?

Is there anything that bugs you about author pages or websites that we should take into account? All thoughts at this stage gratefully received!

Thanks!

1. ajgracesmith says:

Pretty!

Thanks Anna! Colour scheme & design all work of Mr King. I think he’s rather clever :)

I really like the blocks and headers. Only thing I’m not sure about is the body text size. It’s a bit big for me but that may be because I can’t imagine it with ‘real’ text. I’m sure other readers may prefer it big.
    Chapeau Mr King.

Thanks, Pete. Eh, Mr King, about the size of your font…

5. Lovely very gorgeous, and welcoming – but
    yes, agree abut the font, though.

Thanks, V! Good to know!

7. Charlie says:

I’ve fettled the body text size.

I like to use Claire for all kinds of bizarre experimentation and so, in keeping with that, I’ve decided to use her site makeover as an opportunity to muck around with HTML5 and ‘responsive’ web design (pages that rescale elegantly when viewed on devices with different screen sizes).

Gone are my specific pixel measurements for fonts and (for the most part) layout sizes. Now, it’s ‘em’s and percentages.

Frankly, it’s a minefield.

The rates of change of page-design technologies and the clients that use them (HTML/CSS and web browsers) are both out of synch with the evolution of hardware. Even where there are standards, they are ignored or loosely interpreted in different ways by different people (I’m looking at you, Internet Explorer).

And you thought it was tricky not to accidentally split an infinitive, or to avoid leaving a sentence with a preposition trailing after!

Claire, I really like the new WordPress site. It reminds me a little of about about.me (see http://about.me/speh), it’s a clean layout but still personal and centered on your book children… personally I get bored with my theme about every 1.5 years or so, and then I need to revamp. Fortunately WordPress makes this rather easy. I think, from the point of view of the reader who is your target audience for a website, the idea that it always needs to look the same is not right. Quite the opposite perhaps: new book, new phase in life, New Age… Why should these things not influence our presentation? Anyway, these are my thoughts. Keep going!

… Actually, I don’t even know what I said that with about.me: your site is nothing like it. I must have thought of something else. Perhaps a Tumblr theme with changing colors, they are a few of those around.

10. Charlie says:

Thanks for the kind remarks, Marcus. I’m using Claire’s site as a chance to experiment with doing something different, design-wise. The idea is to reflect the fact that Claire is so different, people-wise. Of course, in so doing, I’ve kind of made the normally straightforward WordPress theme development rather more complicated. Ho hum..